REMEMBER TO CALL 811 BEFORE YOU DIG
April 10, 2017
With spring upon us, gardening and landscaping projects are just around the corner! April is also National Safe Digging Month and in conjunction 811 is celebrating its 10th Anniversary.
During this time of year it is important that we continue to remind our customers to always call 811 before starting any projects that involve digging. TrioTel has invested much time and resources into our buried fiber optic network. All TrioTel services run on fiber, so if the cable is cut or damaged, that could lead to loss of telephone, TV and/or internet services for our customers. It will also result in added cost to the person(s) responsible for the damage.
How the 811 process works:
- Call 8-1-1 to submit a locate request 2-3 days prior to the project. South Dakota 811 is available 24/7 and the call is free.
- Wait the required amount of time for affected utility operators to respond to the request. TrioTel typically responds to a locate request within 24-48 hours.
- Check that all affected utility operators have responded and marked underground utilities. See the color code chart below to know what flag color represents which utility.
- Respect the flags. Please keep the markers in place, until the project is complete.
- As always, proceed and dig with caution!
For more information, visit http://call811.com/.
« Back to Blog